Wet races spray jam

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
ClassicF1fan
GP2 Newbie

Wet races spray jam

Post by ClassicF1fan »

I have played around with a few tracks and by taking jam files from other wet tracks I've managed to create the basic appearance of rainy skies and a wet asphalt, for specific tracks. However, I am struggling with a spray effect like gp1 had. I noticed Belini's 99 package created this spray effect but I could not locate the specific jam file. (His jam files are numbers not descriptions). Does anyone know what the jam file for this effect is called, and to get it to work, is it a simple case of inserting in with the other jams files of pre-made wet tracks?
tlm70
GP2 Newbie

Re: Wet races spray jam

Post by tlm70 »

Although I can't really answer as to the name of the file you're looking for, I did at one time have a Nurburgring track that had the effects you speak of. I was rather impressed because at the time I didn't think GP2 was capable of wet weather graphics but it drastically reduced the framerates running it with DosBox so I ended up geting rid of it. I was trying to find a Nurburgring track to use with the 1991 SWC carset so I downloaded quite a few of them. If you download each of the Nurburgring tracks you might just find it. It might have what you're looking for.
For more Nurburgring tracks check here: http://www.f1mania.net/gp2/fgp2/
Use each of the "Anos" links to get to the "downloads" links.
ClassicF1fan
GP2 Newbie

Post by ClassicF1fan »

Thanks for the link :D

I found several tracks that have somewhat of a spray effect, although they do not seem to be as prominent as the one's in Belini's tracks. However, its better than nothing. Now I just have to figure out what Jam file is the spray one and if it can be dropped into other wet tracks, or if the data file for those tracks needs altering. On a side note I did notice that in all the wet tracks from this link, the cc cars were very much slower than myself. Possible grip issue?
tlm70
GP2 Newbie

Post by tlm70 »

It could very well be grip related. I've no experience in track design, but I'm thinking that since the programming for wet conditions in GP2 were unfinished maybe the cc cars have a problem dealing with these conditions at higher speeds. If grip is proportionately related to speed in GP2 that could be the reason the cars are slower. If the cc cars are able to handle higher speeds on the Bellini wet tracks it could then be a case where the other track creators didn't have the benefit of access to information derived from more recent discoveries in GP2 track building that perhaps Bellini incorporated into his designs. When compared to grandprix2.de some of the downloads on f1mania may be a bit older.

Which tracks did you find on f1mania that had the wet track spray conditions? I'd like to try a few to see how playable they are on the build of DOSBox I'm using.
ClassicF1fan
GP2 Newbie

Post by ClassicF1fan »

On closer inspection I'm not sure if its a grip issue. I recorded a few quick races and then played them back, and noticed the cc cars did not get out of 1st gear, hence why I was so much quicker than them. I'm kind of stumped at the moment as to why the cc cars are not changing gears.

As for tracks on F1Mania that I found with some kind of spray effect, here they are:

Adelaide 1989
Hockenhiem 1988
Spa 1989
Montreal 1989
Silverstone 1988
Monaco 1984

There are some tracks from the early 1980's that have the spray effect and Nuremburg 61' 65' & 68 also have it. I did not look through other tracks from the 1950's - 1970's but I'm sure there are several in those years.

I've looked at the Jam files for several of the wet tracks, but again nothing is listed as 'Spray' or anything like that, and there does not appear to be any difference in Jam file names or the number of Jam files for both the wet and dry versions of the tracks. I am wondering if the spray feature is in the Data file?