F1GP Talk

It's just an area for F1GP, GP3, GP3k and GP4 - Please Post in topic's title which game it is for... E.g. '[GP3] 2011th cars'
racer63
GP2 Gamer

Re: F1GP Talk

Post by racer63 »

Well, I don´t understand german, but looks like a promising game :D
DEHUMANIZER95
GP2 Racer

Post by DEHUMANIZER95 »

Well, they're saying that this game is legendary, not for it's intro, but for race driving and at it's release year it was a graphical revolution, textured tarmac etc. And the first game with mirrors.
jujuandhuhu
GP2 Newbie

Post by jujuandhuhu »

Hello everyone

It's nice to see the discussion about such an old and great game is still alive :)

I'm not sure if you're familiar with this webpage
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/f1gpwc/
It's a F1GP/WC Yahoo group website.

Since the http://www.simracingworld.com/games/2-microprose-f1gp/ website regarding F1GP is no longer maintained, this is the only active F1GP community as far as I know.

Although the community is very small there are some members still interested in developing F1GP. We have some new carsets and some other new tools.
There isn't much discussion going on at the moment on the group webpage, but there is a lot of action behind the scenes. We've made some tools which should help in testing out F1GP and finding out how different settings affect the CC car performance. This will hopefully result in a tool allowing users to adjust CC performance to their own driving level.

We're also going to be starting an email racing competition soon, using the game's multiplayer feature.
If you want to join us, download some new stuff or simply have questions regarding the game, feel free to visit the website.

Cheers
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Thats amazing. :shock:

Until today the only site for F1GP for me was simracing......This is very very very cool, I hope someday we can edit more F1GP and make it again popular. Im a big fan of it. :wink:
nimrod111
GP2 Gamer

Post by nimrod111 »

RacerBG wrote:Thats amazing. :shock:

Until today the only site for F1GP for me was simracing......This is very very very cool, I hope someday we can edit more F1GP and make it again popular. Im a big fan of it. :wink:
I agree! =D>
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

I had forgot my account there..... ](*,) I will check it anyway, I wont let F1GP die NEVER [-X
GP2 Newbie

Post by 131073 »

I agree, i like to play f1gp as well :D
Is there any editors available for it? And there should be a f1gp download area on this site.
jujuandhuhu
GP2 Newbie

Post by jujuandhuhu »

131073 wrote:I agree, i like to play f1gp as well :D
Is there any editors available for it? And there should be a f1gp download area on this site.
F1ED is the ultimate editor which allows users to make custom carsets and change most of the game settings. GPEditor is an older editor with most of the same capabilities.
Also, although not strictly editors, Car_3D-view and Pit_Crew_3D-view show how cars look in 3D-view, without the need to start the game itself. This speeds up the carset making process and makes it simpler.

TrackEd and ChequeredFlag are both track editors, with ChequeredFlag being the newer and more advanced one. But both these editors have some fundamental issues with the computer-cars line, which is one of the reasons why there are so few custom tracks for F1GP.
ChequeredFlag was intended to be an ultimate F1GP editor for unpacked executable files, offering more options than the current ones. Unfortunately it was never completed.

GPCwinset allows users to change computer car setups and there are also a number of different lap time logging and analyzing tools.

The group's archive now the contains the most fundamental tools, used by most users. One day it will probably feature all the files available at SimRacingWorld.

Since abandonware is not freeware, uploading a full version of the game could present legal problems. But if you're interested in downloading the game, simply googling will find you a number of sites where it is available for download.

If anyone is interested in making a 2012 season carset, feel welcome to do so. You would normally use F1ED in conjuction with Car_3D-view and Pit_Crew_3D-view.
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

I had registered and yes there are interesting tools, thanks guys. :)

About F1ED does anyone know how to solve the start error problem? I have it on my win 7 32 bit... :-k
GP2 Newbie

Post by 131073 »

on windows 7 64bit there is the same problem, doesn't start
same problem with gpeditor :(
jujuandhuhu
GP2 Newbie

Post by jujuandhuhu »

RacerBG wrote:I had registered and yes there are interesting tools, thanks guys. :)

About F1ED does anyone know how to solve the start error problem? I have it on my win 7 32 bit... :-k
F1ED is a 16-bit application and it won't work on 64-bit systems. I'm not sure if it works with Vista or 7 32-bit versions.
The first thing to check is if you have all the required runtime libraries (available for download in the Files/Editors/Runtime Libraries) placed in the F1ED folder.

The program can be normally run on Windows XP or older operating systems. You can also install Windows 3.1 inside Dosbox.
So, the way to run it is if you have a virtual machine with Win XP/98/95, etc. installed. If you're using Windows 7 you can try the built XP Mode which is basically a Win XP virtual machine.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -windows-7
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

jujuandhuhu wrote:
RacerBG wrote:I had registered and yes there are interesting tools, thanks guys. :)

F1ED is a 16-bit application and it won't work on 64-bit systems. I'm not sure if it works with Vista or 7 32-bit versions.
The first thing to check is if you have all the required runtime libraries (available for download in the Files/Editors/Runtime Libraries) placed in the F1ED folder.

The program can be normally run on Windows XP or older operating systems. You can also install Windows 3.1 inside Dosbox.
So, the way to run it is if you have a virtual machine with Win XP/98/95, etc. installed. If you're using Windows 7 you can try the built XP Mode which is basically a Win XP virtual machine.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -windows-7
I have got virtual machines, anyway this program is lacking of functionality in newer OS's. Sorry for the long delay of the answer but Im busy...... :-#
jujuandhuhu
GP2 Newbie

Post by jujuandhuhu »

RacerBG wrote:I have got virtual machines, anyway this program is lacking of functionality in newer OS's. Sorry for the long delay of the answer but Im busy...... :-#
I guess that's true. However, it's quite expected. The game is almost 20 years old now, and most of the tools aren't much newer.
Microsoft is gradually removing DOS support in newer operating systems, and with the further spread of 64-bit operating systems, DOS programs will become unusable without some third-party emulation software.

I've posted a list of possible alternatives above, and the best choice depends on the end-user.
The advantage of using Windows 3.1 is that everything can be run through Dosbox, without the need for any additional virtual machines.

This was also one of the main motivations for creating ChequeredFlag. It's a Java program and is compatible with all platforms.
It's full potential was never realized, but further development might be made. However, due to the scope of the whole project, I can't make any promises.
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

jujuandhuhu wrote:
RacerBG wrote:I have got virtual machines, anyway this program is lacking of functionality in newer OS's. Sorry for the long delay of the answer but Im busy...... :-#
I guess that's true. However, it's quite expected. The game is almost 20 years old now, and most of the tools aren't much newer.
Microsoft is gradually removing DOS support in newer operating systems, and with the further spread of 64-bit operating systems, DOS programs will become unusable without some third-party emulation software.

I've posted a list of possible alternatives above, and the best choice depends on the end-user.
The advantage of using Windows 3.1 is that everything can be run through Dosbox, without the need for any additional virtual machines.

This was also one of the main motivations for creating ChequeredFlag. It's a Java program and is compatible with all platforms.
It's full potential was never realized, but further development might be made. However, due to the scope of the whole project, I can't make any promises.
I have got installed Windows 3.11 in my HDD now so dont worry. :wink: It works very fine with my XP SP3 and also 7 in my laptop. Im running it thanks to DSOBOX so this problem is solved probably. :)
jujuandhuhu
GP2 Newbie

Post by jujuandhuhu »

Hi everyone

Just wanted to say the 2012 season carset is now available at http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/f1g ... s/Carsets/.

Cheers